Likewise to prescription-based sleeping pills, the over-the-counter sleeping aids are also proved to be effective in treating insomnia. Most of the sleeping aids available over-the-counter contain an antihistamine as the principal ingredient and as antihistamines counter the effects of histamines that are primarily responsible for causing a person to lay awake, the anti-histamines present in over-the-counter sleeping pills make people fall asleep instantly and effectively.
The principal difference between over-the-counter sleep aids and prescription-based sleeping pills is that over-the-counter mediations can be purchased without a prescription and also without visiting a healthcare practitioner while a patient under the grip of insomnia is entitled to buy prescription-based sleeping pills only after getting hold of prescriptions from the doctor.
Some of the well-known over-the-counter sleep aids are namely,
1. Tylenol Pm
1. Tylenol Pm
Tylenol Pm is an over-the-counter sleeping pill containing Diphenhydramine HCl and Acetaminophen as active ingredients. Diphenhydramine hydrochloride, is an anti-histamine, hypnotic as well as sedative that yields effective results to relieve people from the grip of insomnia. However, Acetaminophen, another active ingredient of Tylenol Pm acts as a pain reliever.
The sleep aid Tylenol Pm functions primarily by inhibiting the functioning process of the neurotransmitter and the inhibition of the neurotransmitter leads to the suppression of the central nervous system and this further makes people fall asleep.
Other striking tidbits associated with Tylenol Pm are mentioned below:
- McNeil Cons is the manufacturer as well as distributor of Tylenol Pm and the generic name of Tylenol Pm is acetaminophen.
- Tylenol Pm is especially known for yielding effects when sleepiness is caused by any kind of pain. This medication relieves pain quickly as well as fastly and makes people fall asleep with ease.
- To obtain effective results from Tylenol Pm, it is essential to take the medicine as per the instructions of the doctor. However, you should not opt for acetaminophen if you have allergies for acetaminophen, diphenhydramine as well as any other anti-histamine.
- Altogether, before administering Tylenol Pm, it is necessary to inform the doctor if you are suffering from kidney disease, glaucoma, liver disorder, enlarged prostate or if you are facing problems while urinating.
- On missing a dosage of Tylenol Pm, you should take the missed dose immediately or if it is too late, you should leave the missed dosage without trying to make up for it. However, if you have taken over dosage of Tylenol Pm, it is essential to contact the doctor immediately.
- If you have fallen prey to any Tylenol Pm side-effects, you should instantly consult the doctor without any delay.
Unisom is a product of Chattem, Inc. and is used widely as an over-the-counter sleep aid. However, Unisom is available in three different forms, namely, Unisom SleepTabs®, Unisom SleepGels® and Unisom SleepMelts™.
The striking characteristics and specific details associated with Unisom are included below:
- Unisom is clinically proven to be a safe and effective medicine for decreasing sleep difficulties.
- Unisom SleepTabs contain doxylamine succinate as the principal active ingredient. Doxylamine succinate is clinically proven and its safety and efficacy is duly established.
- Unisom SleepTabs put you to sleep 25 minutes faster in an average.
- Unisom SleepGels have diphenhydramine HCl as the principal active ingredient and is available in a gelly form that can be easily swallowed.
- Unisom SleepMelts contain 25 mg/tablet of diphenhydramine HCl and clinically proven to be effective for inducing sleep.
Sominex is a product of GlaxoSmithKline and is made available in the United State as an over-the-counter medicine for treating insomnia. Sominex is available in two specific formulas, namely, original and maximum strength formulas and these two formulas have diphenhydramine as the active component. The fundamental tidbits associated with Sominex are mentioned below:
The chief chemical ingredient of Sominex diphenhydramine HCl makes you feel drowsy and thus assists you in falling asleep without any difficulty.
Sominex is proven to be effective for providing complete sleep for six to eight hours.
Generally, a patient suffering from insomnia is instructed to take 1 caplet (50mg. of diphenhydramine HCl per caplet) or 2 tablets (25mg. of diphenhydramine HCl per tablet) half or one hour before sleeping. But to obtain effective results from Sominex and prevent unwanted side-effects of the medicine, it is to be administered as per the instructions of the doctor.
Nytol® is an over-the-counter medicine manufactured by the pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline. This medicine is available in regular strength/extra strength dosages and can be purchased in tablet/caplet form. Some of the important tidbits related to Nytol are described below:
- Nytol contains Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride as the active component. Soon after the administration of the medicine, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride springs into action and makes you fall asleep within just 20-30 minutes. To obtain effective results from Nytol, this medicine is to be used in accordance with the instructions of the doctor only.
- Nytol tablets/caplets are to be taken along with water 30 minutes before getting off to sleep.
- Nytol is meant to be stored at room temperature, away from the reach of children.