To use Ambien safely as well as effectively and to obtain maximum benefits from your Ambien usage, it is important to adopt certain Ambien precautionary measures. Some of the Ambien safety measures are highlighted below:
1. The use of Ambien, the medicine for treating insomnia, may lead to certain allergic reactions. However, when you show off certain signs of Ambien allergic reaction, namely, breathing difficulty, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue face, throat, etc. you need to stop the intake of Ambien at once and seek out appropriate medical assistance.
2. The sleeping pill Ambien may trigger off certain side-effects that can further unleash disastrous impact on your thinking process. However, after taking Ambien and having a good night’s sleep, you may wake up feeling sleepy in the morning. Therefore, until and unless you get to know the side-effects triggered off by Ambien while you were awake, you need to be cautious while performing anything that requires you to stay vigilant and alert such as piloting an airplane, handling machinery, driving etc.
3. Pertaining to the side-effects yielded by Ambien, it is also seen that at times after administering Ambien, people leave bed while they were not awake completely and perform certain tasks without being aware of their actions.
However, after getting up next morning, these people are not found to remember anything done by them during the night and altogether it is seen that people drinking alcohol and administering other sleep inducing medicines are more at risk of performing these tasks.
Some of the activities that people taking Ambien undertake in their sleepy state are namely, talking over the phone, making and eating food, sleep walking, indulging in sexual intercourse, driving a car (“sleep driving” etc).
However, on finding out that you have undertaken any of the afore-mentioned activities after administering Ambien, inform the physician immediately.
4. Ambien should be taken as prescribed only and it is essential that you do not take larger dosages of Ambien than what is prescribed for you.
5. If the sleep inducing medicine Ambien is prescribed for you only, do not give it to anyone else as Ambien can be addictive and further it is essential that you do not share Ambien with another individual, especially one with a drug abuse or drug addiction history.
6. It is altogether necessary to restrain from alcohol usage while taking Ambien as drinking alcohol alongside taking the sleep medicine Ambien is likely to enhance drowsiness and several other Ambien side-effects.
7. Before you move ahead to administer Ambien, you need to inform the doctor if you
- have a history of depression, suicidal thoughts or mental illness
- have a history of alcohol/drug abuse or addiction to these substances
- are suffering from breathing problems or lung disease
- havekidney/liver disorder
- are pregnant/planning to achieve pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Ambien is not meant for children and should be stored in a safe place to prevent misuse of the medication.
However, there are various other Ambien safety measures also that are to be followed to ensure safe and effective use of Ambien. Most particularly, to gain a full night’s sleep with Ambien without facing any disastrous side-effects, the medication is to be administered in accordance with the instructions of the doctor only.