Sonata: An Introductory Note
Sonata is a sedative as well as a hypnotic and is used for treating insomnia for a short term period (7-10 days). Sonata is prescribed for people who face difficulties in falling asleep at night. Sonata belongs to a class of medicines commonly known as hypnotics or sedatives or central nervous system (CNS) depressants.
The generic name of Sonata is Zaleplon. Sonata has gained approval from the FDA (Food and Drugs Administration) as an effective medicine for the treatment of insomnia. Sonata is available in capsule form for administration.
Sonata starts functioning by yielding effects on specific chemicals present in the brain. However, as soon as Sonata affects these brain chemicals, a state of calmness is induced inside your brain and you fall asleep without any difficulty.
Sonata Drug Interactions
There are certain medicines that may cause interaction with Sonata. Therefore, before administering Sonata, you should inform the doctor properly if you are taking medicines such as:
- Rifampin (Trade names: Rifadin, Rifater, Rifamate, Rimactane)
- Thioridazine (Trade name: Mellaril)
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) or Cimetidine because the use of these medicines can lead to an increase in sleep time
- Fluoxetine (Trade names:Prozac, Sarafem), Sertraline (Trade name:Zoloft), Imipramine (Trade name: Janimine, Tofranil) and other anti-depressants
- Medicines for treating anxiety, seizure medicines, muscle relaxers
- Narcotic pain medicines
- Cyclosporine (Trade name: Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune)
- Promethazine (Trade name: Phenergan, Promacot)
- Antibiotics, namely, Ketoconazole (Trade name: Nizoral), itraconazole (Trade name: Sporanox), Erythromycin (Trade names:E-Mycin, E.E.S., Ery-Tab, Erythrocin), Ciprofloxacin (Tradename:Cipro), Clarithromycin (Trade name: Biaxin) and Azithromycin (Trade name: Zithromax)
Sonata is to be stored at a temperature of 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C).
You should store Sonata in a closed container and away from pets and children.
Sonata is not to be stored in the bathroom and should be protected from heat, moisture and light.